Thursday, July 24, 2014

7/24/14 show #8: Enchantment Building 101


Carole & Jane are offering a new show format in addition to their hour long, content -laden discussion shows.  Their new show format is in short segments, each one offering one idea, within a singular topic, a bit of en-Couragement, and a practical exercise you can try for yourself.  It is our hope that this shortened version of our broadly sweeping previously given shows, will enable each one of us to better experience our divinely designed self within our far-reaching journey, one little bit at a time.
In addition, here is our first complete "show" material in written form:

TODAY’S TOPIC & PRACTICE EXERCISE: 

There are 3 beginning steps to consider when you want to make your Sacred Space tangible—PLEASE do them in any order –whatever  makes sense to YOUR HEART:

11)    Creating a portable inner workshop of materials:  keep all together in designated place;  your “sacred school bag”;  loose l. notebook with lined & blank pages/ pencils/ eraser/ pens/ colored markers or pencils/ scissors /

22)   A dedicated “time out for a Time In”.  deciding to step out of your 24/7 world for a time when you are not “available”… sign on door, in your car, on a park bench etc.  Now BREATH:  deep breath says I AM OK if I can breathe deeply;  2) time is fluid, so I HAVE ENOUGH TIME;  there IS a Place and Time in this world where I can BE… in just one moment at a time, one breath at a time, one understanding at a time… I can rest, I can be refreshed by each breath of newness coming in, healed with each breath being released.. In this wonderful moment, NOW, Everything is manageable, quiet, comforting, reassuring, just right.

33)   Making an actual, physical sacred PLACE where you can go whenever you are needing spiritual refreshment, reflection, quiet personal inner-time

(all of these creations will be ongoing.. today is just a beginning.)

If you live alone (or note) and don’t  have a cleared & lovely room with a door (even a lock, if you need extra clarity about your taking private time);  or a nice corner with a chair, surrounded by a screen, etc. I have a couple of little examples of how some people created unexpected personal space: 

One woman, in a house full of kids etc. only had the space under the stairs that she could make into her own space….. so within this 4X6’ space, she put down a shag rug, some cushions, hung a lamp, make a little table for her most special things & then hug a 4’ wide curtain across the opening.

Another woman had her bed in the living room in her family’s apartment, so her “private space” solution was to hang a bed sheet curtain from the ceiling surrounding her bed area & when the curtain was closed, everyone knew she had her ear plugs in & was not to be disturbed .. in this unlikely Place, she was able to do all of her meditative, journaling, quiet time work in peace (of course, she finally worked out how to do much of it when the family was asleep, but still!!)

One woman, in her cluttered house, could only BEGIN with a box where she began collecting her sacred things (photos, fav. Quotes, fabric & paint swatches, little items that kept giving her time to be in beauty and cleanliness and gracious living (a lovely cup & saucer), sea shells, little mementos of   etc… slowly, her box became too small for her, so she cleared out a corner and began expanding her sacred space… until, in time, years, in fact, her entire home became her sanctuary

SO NOW when you have allotted yourself a little PLACE, you can begin to gather & collect ONLY those things which delight YOUR heart, calm and speak to your Spirit—those things which ONLY carry wonder-filled memories… it is DELICIOUS to look at your material things  through the “lens” of finding ONLY those things that REMIND YOU OF YOUUUUR ESSENCE SELF, your deepest, most at PEACE self.  If you have nothing in your life which touches you with LOVE, then NOW is the moment you begin LOOKING for your own heart’s treasures.

CLOSING:
So, in closing, this show was about HOW TO BEGIN BUILDING YOUR BLESSING FILLED LIFE within your own Sacred Space.
Over time, you will be making your Sacred Space tangible with :
1)    A portable Sacred Space Design bag with working book and materials

2)    A designated Time set aside for inner exploration and experience

3)    A Place, one Place, in this world that is all yours….

I want to close with this quote from the “Baha’i’ Writings”:
“Make a beginning and all will come right.  Intention brings attainment.”
(If you like our shorter show format and a written blog version, please let us know, either on the DesigningSacredSpace, radioblogtalk.com site or here, on our Designing SacredSpace blogspot.com site.) 
Blessings and ONLY-LOVE,
Carole

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sacred Space
    I enjoyed Carole’s “basic recipe” for creating sacred space and I especially appreciated the diversity and creativity represented in creating the various “time-out for time-in” spaces that were described.
    I am blessed to have a beloved spot that is a classic example of sacred space in the way Carole describes it here. It is within my bedroom (ah, sweet place of intimacy), and when I am seeking time-in I close the door and have established rules of privacy. There is a comfy chair with a prayer shawl, a down comforter and soft pillows. Beside my chair is a spacious table (an altar, really), arranged with beautiful things that are meaningful to me such as symbols of my Faith, candles, angel figurines, shells, driftwood, crystals, dried flowers, little gifts, photographs, cards, artwork in progress, etc. Below the table is a bookshelf-ful of the books and materials I wish to have close to me: here there are prayer books, various Holy Writings, journals, notepads, books of poetry, a number of longtime favorite books, and whatever I am reading at the time. The bookshelf actually from this point extends up and out and all around me from floor to ceiling, so that I am always surrounded by dear friends! Hanging from the bookshelf next to my chair are several woven bags that contain pens, paper and various simple art supplies.
    It IS a wonderful and truly blessed space and a place where I love to spend hours in stillness and contemplation. But this is not my only “sacred space,” for I also have a deep love of MOVING as I pray and go inward, and so, for instance, I spend long hours walking outdoors. In this case the area that I use to create my sacred space is the space between my ears and the space around my open heart! I find that movement is meditative, and that regular deep breathing patterns become a natural part of the experience. Walking in NATURE is particularly sweet, and beckons me to stay “in the moment” in appreciation of the various forms of physical beauty I encounter (sacred space in each moment!). I find this habit carries me effortlessly into joy, wonder, and gratitude!
    I do not generally carry an “art bag” when walking outdoors, (although this could certainly be done) but I do often have a small pad of paper with me so that I can jot down thoughts, ideas and feelings that come to me and that I want to work with further in my home space.”
    Probably my favorite situation for creating sacred space is while swimming, and preferably swimming in open water (although a pool might do under some circumstances). I think that my finding swimming to be sacred time/space is likely a rather personal experience, but I think it is a good example of how EACH person’s experience of the sacred and of sacred space is unique!
    It just so happens that I truly feel more at home in the water than on land so “sacred space swimming” is perfect for ME. I LOVE to be in the open water, the deeper, and the more “out” (more private) the better. No worries about being intruded upon here! Again, as with walking, I find the steady movement of my body as I move through the water using various strokes, and the regular pattern of breathing that swimming particularly encourages, to be very conducive to going deeply inward and finding my still center. Oh! And then there’s the sun on my skin, the fluffy clouds, the sky, the birds, the flow of water along my body as I swim, the soft breeze, an occasion shower, Oh! There’s a rainbow over the lake! Heaven! Indeed I feel closer to God, when I am swimming in His waters than at almost any other time or place. Enchantment building indeed!
    Constance

    ReplyDelete